Monday, May 24, 2010

Expect More from your Ice Cream


There's a line... I hate lines. Two questions come to mind. Why would I wait in a line when there are so many amazing options around me (including Dynamo Donuts)? And how good is the ice cream here that people are waiting to stand in this line? Hmm... If there's one thing I've learned during my short time in San Francisco, it's that the people know good food, so I got in line at Humphry Slocombe.

Okay, so the line wasn't too bad, it only took about 10-15 minutes. And it was well worth it. Actually it was worth it just to see the crazy innovative flavors. Thai Chile lime sorbet, peanut butter curry, golden beet saffron - definitely no ordinary ice cream joint. The worst part about this place is having to narrow it down to 1, 2 even 3 flavors. But after careful consideration (and a few free tastes) I did: Peanut butter curry and chocolate smoked salt. One would be my wacky flavor and one my safe flavor.


(Before jumping into the specific flavors, the ice cream itself is so well made. It's very creamy and the consistency is perfect. The fact that it melts quickly is a good thing, it means it's fresh. )

Both flavors were incredible. How could peanut butter curry taste so good? There certainly wasn't a lack of curry, it tasted like curry! The peanut butter did a nice job of smoothing it out and calming the curry intensity while leaving its own wonderful imprint. And then the chocolate smoked salt. Simple at first glance but in reality, very complex.  Deeply chocolately with a nice malted flavor, it was a thing of pure enjoyment. Not to be outdone, the smoked salt cut through the chocolate superbly and offered its own rich flavor.

Humphry Slocombe is the mad scientist of ice cream. I've been to the Bi-Rite Creamery, and while delicious, it was boring compared to this place. And with that being true, then every ice cream place that serves just mint chocolate chip, cookie dough, oreo, etc... should be ashamed. Humphry Slocombe has made an impact on me. I expect more from my ice cream and so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment